Friday, May 3, 2013

Mexico

After no fewer than 67 billion snow days, I sat at my desk at work, staring at my computer screen and contemplating how the heck I was going to survive the remainder of the winter. I quickly decided that it just wasn't going to happen. I opened up outlook, typed "WE NEED A VACATION" and hit send.  

Six weeks later, sans children, Ryan and I were on our way to spend 6 all inclusive nights in sunny Mexico. I was kind of excited. Excited for sun, sleep and most of all to spend some quality time with my favorite guy. I was SO excited I almost didn't even care that I crashed my car the night before and spent half the morning attempting to file an insurance claim over the sound of "attention travelers, now boarding flight..." while jotting notes on the back of a paper napkin.

After a few snacks, two magazines and a connection in the worst airport ever, we arrived. Paradise.

We spent the first couple of days by the pool, soaking up the sun and reveling in the silence that comes from leaving your children at home with Grandma.

Pay no attention to the low quality, grainy photos--I left my nice camera at home {laptop too!} with the intention of completely "un-plugging" and focusing on the cute guy below.

After a couple of days, a handful of fruity drinks and an excessive amount of food, we got it together and took a trip into town.
There is something to be said about uninterrupted time with your husband. A stroll along the beach without having to dole out snacks, reapply sunscreen, or wipe tantrum tears? Pretty incredible.

And the drinks weren't too bad either.

About three days in we watched as family after family checked into the resort with children in tow. Suddenly, we were surrounded by canon balls and giggling and the pitter patter of tiny feet on wet pavement. We talked about how much Tyler and Matty would love the resort and vowed to bring them along next year. Ryan started an "abduction list" that consisted of all of the kids he deemed worthy of taking home while I warned him that he was going to get us thrown in a sketchy Mexican prison. We missed our boys like crazy.


The following day we headed into town and took a van into the mountains to partake in a little zip lining. As we began suiting up I started getting nervous. And the more hills we climbed, the more nervous I got.

Usually in a situation like this, I'd try to calm my nerves by convincing myself that if it was really that dangerous, there would be some sort of law against it. But in Mexico? I'm pretty sure that's not the way it works. In an effort to be a fun wife I decided I better just suck it up and give it a shot. And I'm glad I did because we had a blast!

After we zipped all 11 lines {traditional, superman, upside down!}, we had a drink and took some time to walk around the grounds. It was gorgeous {the view and the drinks.}

We spent the next couple of days enjoying  breakfast by the pool and sunset dinners by the ocean. We read books, chatted with Canadians and did our best to avoid a sunburn.
Before we knew it, it was time to say goodbye to the sun and sand and head home. 8 hours, a sprint through the worst airport ever and one lost bag later, we arrived.

Until next year Mexico.


No comments:

Post a Comment