Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Weekend Recap

Winter with small children can be complete magic. The first snowfall of the season, movie nights in front of the fireplace and sneaking in some precious family time by hunkering down under layers of blankets with endless stacks of books.

On the flip side? Winter with those same small children can also be nothing short of torture. Eventually the holidays pass and with them goes the excitement of snowmen, sledding and hot chocolate. The temperatures dip into the double digit negatives and the daycare germs that so kindly attached themselves to my little guys in November get cozy and decide that a weekend visit isn’t quite enough and an extended stay is absolutely necessary.

Soon, it’s nearly the end of January and you realize that you haven’t left the house as a family in what feels like half a year. That is where I found myself last weekend. However, this particular weekend, unlike all the others, showed signs of a light at the end of the tunnel. All 4 members of our family were relatively healthy for the first time since Thanksgiving  and we had no big plans on the calendar.

On Friday night, I got home from work and announced that it appeared to be a perfect night for a living room sleepover. And living room sleepovers? They are Tyler’s version of gold. That kid loves nothing more than an air mattress, sugary snacks and back to back episodes of Curious George. Turns out Matty feels the same way. 

Saturday morning brought with it waffles, an intense wait for the mailman and big plans for the Children’s Museum. Tyler was looking forward to it and to say that I was excited would be a complete understatement. Hello! I hadn’t left the house in FOREVER and a day with my three favorite guys sounded like absolute bliss. We picked up the house, packed up the kids and got ready to go. Except? About 10 minutes before we were set to walk out the door, Tyler had the ingenious idea that our bed needed to be moved from its current location to a much more appropriate location under the window. The problem? Tyler is 5 years old and no matter how dead set he was on turning his vision into reality, the chances of that bed moving even an inch was slim to none. He ended up pulling a muscle in his neck and while I admire his extreme determination, I was pretty bummed out that we had to cancel our outing and spend yet another day at home.

That day ended up looking a whole lot like this {sweats, video games & a nice warm heating pad.

And even Harley seemed a tad disappointed.

On the plus side? That extra time at home provided Ryan and I with the opportunity to finally figure out what was really happening to all of those missing waffles. 

And to think, we've been blaming that poor cat all this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment